So life’s been a bit crazy over here the last week or so. It was all calm, peaceful and happy when Jacob was born, and it actually stayed that way…for about a week…then all hell broke loose. Jacob still proves to be a peaceful content baby, but the other children, particularly the oldest have this thing for routine and structure and knowing what’s going on. All things that have been thrown out the window, thrown in the window to replace them has been screaming, fits, and other fun stuff. But you will hear more about that than you want later, that’s not why you’re here now, I told you I was going to tell you about the birth.

Below is all my pieces I’ve compiled in the last few weeks when I’ve had a second to think. I’d add more, but the screaming is distracting me.

So I have a few minutes of quiet, the big kids have been parcelled out and the littlest man is sleeping away after our first little walk. I’m sitting here trying to figure out how to put the birth into words. Some things are so experiential, finding words to describe them seems grossly insufficient, this is one of those things for me. But I think it’s important, and I’ve already had more requests than I can keep track of, so I’m going to try.

I’m not even sure where to start, for those that follow me on twitter or facebook you know my water broke at 4 am. saturday. That is a starting point, but it seems like I need to back up a bit. So we’ll start the day before.

I had an appointment with the midwife on Friday, the day before our little unnamed boy was born. It was my normal Friday off and I decided to take both kids with me, by myself, all the way to Sanford. I was very tired, but also very determined to do it alone. I had offers of help on the table, but it was one of those things I had to know I could do. I only had two that day, I was about to have three, I needed to know I could handle it. So off we went, I even threw in a visit to ‘The Barn Store’ to pick up some much needed fruit before heading up there, ’cause I’m just crazy like that.

The appointment was standard, any headaches, blurry vision, blah blah blah? no. How are you feeling? tired. What was your weight? You actually thought I’d say didn’t you, ha ha ha. Do you want to be checked? And I actually said yes. For those of you that don’t know what that means, I’ll spare you the process, but the results were 3-4 cm, 70% effaced with the baby down to about a 7. Which means I left with a note that I was not to return to work, that was a big YIPPIE moment for me….and I gotta go.

And we’re back for another 15 min attempt to get this on ‘paper.’

With no further plans to go to work I started making plans for the weekend and next week. Final preparation stuff, you know like, buy diapers. After all the extra effort of taking the kids out during the day I was wiped by the time Grant was in bed at 8pm. I did a few more things, got ready for bed and was out cold by 9 o’clock.

The one thing I said about this delivery was that I wanted to be rested, and I’ve never been so happy I went to bed early in my life. At 4AM something akin to warm slime running down my leg woke me up. I made an attempt to quickly waken Neil to get a towel to save the bed, but for any of you who have ever seen my husband sleep, quickly awaken isn’t really something that happens, the sheets were a loss. He finally woke up, grabbed me a towel, I got to the bathroom and we threw the sheets and cover in wash. We searched the house for the rubber sheet (which I knew was dirty because it was on my weekend list to clean it) or the extra shower curtain (which I finally found a week after the birth) to remake the bed for the birth. After our unsuccessful attempts we finally had to use every water proof pad the kids had and lined my side of the bed so I could go back to sleep. Neil stayed up long enough to put the sheets in the dryer and then joined me for our last few hours of sleep before our family expanded yet again. Somewhere around 4:30 I felt the first contraction. Around 20 mins later the next one came and I was relived thinking I had hours yet to go. At this rate I should get plenty of sleep.

To be continued…